Nervous about getting your engagements taken? Don’t be! Check out these great tips to calm your nerves and prepare you for some STUNNING photos!
1) One of the most important things in a shoot is what you’re wearing. These are photos that you’re going to be sending out to guests, hanging on your walls, using for sign-in guests books. I highly encourage simple, elegant, and classy (Sabrina and Jason and the *perfect* examples of this!). And definitely send your photographer inspiration of what you’re thinking!
2) Only plan for 1-2 outfits. Sessions don’t normally last much longer than an hour, and you don’t want to waste too much time changing into different outfits. Your engagement session is a great time to snuggle, cuddle, and play with your fiancé(e), and get to know your photographer better. It can absolutely add more stress when adding more outfit changes.
3) GUYS! Fitted shirts are a MUST (you don’t have huge back bellies!), and please think about your footwear as well. Sneakers are great for the gym, but aren’t for your engagement sessions 😉
4) Hair and makeup. Ladies, this is SO important!! Lips, eyelashes, eyebrows, cheekbones–all can become non-existent without good makeup! And styling your hair adds volume and gorgeousness (also, can we please take a second to obsess over Sabrina’s stunning hair and makeup??)
5) Plan for just you and your love to be at the engagement session. Other people can make you feel even more awkward in front of the camera, and can take away from the comfortable, intimate feeling created during the session.
6) Photography is allllllll about light. Sometimes it may take some extra time finding good light (and a gorgeous background!), so be patient 😉
7) Stay put. Okay, this one may sound weird, but I move around a LOT during my sessions. I will put couples in a pose and then find every beautiful angle I can. Snuggle up, cuddle, chat with, joke around with your future spouse, no need to break away from each other.
8a.) Pretend I’m not there and be you. Wait what?? How can you pretend the photographer isn’t there?? Sometimes you have to fake it till you make it, but the easiest way is to just talk to your fiancé(e), make him (or her) your entire focus. Most of the “posing” I will do involves the two of you interacting in some way. Don’t feel like you can’t move around or talk to each other. I want you to move!
8b.) The most genuine pictures (and the most beautiful and fun ones) are when you two are interacting in a natural and genuine way. Feel free to move around, to stroke his chin, to kiss her nose. If you’re more focused on each other than on me, it’ll be a lot easier to act natural in front of the camera. So we will definitely get some beautiful shots as well as some of you two looking at the camera smiling, but then we will also be able to get some of you two just interacting and having fun together and being totally cute & romantic & you.